South London Letter Association regularly hosts events for its members. From social events, exhibitions, and other outings, to workshops and courses our events are a great opportunity to get together and share creative ideas about lettering. Most events are free for members, so join SLLA today.
- This event has passed.
Large Italic using Automatic Pens with Rachel Yallop (via ZOOM)
June 19 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm£30
This workshop will be a zoom class with 2 two hour sessions beginning at 10am and breaking for lunch.
Writing letters at a large size increases calligraphic confidence and enhances hand skills. Using the larger
sizes of Automatic pens is a great way to achieve this. In this class we will:
- Practice a rhythmic texture of lines as a way into making letters.
- Look at pen manipulation and how to make an easy transition between thick and thin strokes.
- Develop a condensed, sharpened italic style.
- Having developed a rhythm, look at ways of breaking it to create tension between letters or within a word or larger piece.
- Look at style variations such as using weight in a limited way.
- £25: members
- £30: non-members
We welcome everyone to join our workshops, but offer priority booking for our members until 8 weeks prior to the event. If you are a non-member, you can register your interest for the workshop and your place will be confirmed once priority booking closes. If you’d like to join SLLA and receive priority benefits, please visit our Become a Member webpage.
How to Enrol
Please email Nicola Dunn, our events coordinator, who will let you know if spaces are available. If so, Nicola will provide you with online banking or cheque details, and, once your payment is received, she will book your place on the workshop.